Optimizing how you generate traffic and convert potential buyers.
People tend to break down their websites' traffic mix by the channel that brought the visitors. Analyzing traffic mix is a great way to develop a better sense of who your visitor is and how your marketing efforts are performing. However, that only tells your marketing story from your traffic generation effort but it doesn't tell you much about your marketing efficiency.
Instead of looking at your traffic by what marketing efforts bring the most amount of visitors and convert best, look at your visitor mix as a starting point to optimize how you generate traffic and then what converts them.
There are three types of visitors who can come to your website:
Research shared by Raj De Datta, CEO and co-founder of BloomReach, indicates that non-branded paid clicks have a 55 percent bounce rate from their landing pages. Google Analytics and KISSmetrics reports put the range from 10 percent to 90 percent with new visitors bouncing 62.9 percent of the time from paid search clicks.
On a typical website, 3 percent of visitors are buyers and the other 97 percent is distributed among the potential buyers and disqualified traffic.
You should be asking yourself these three key questions:
Your data analyst should be able to tell you the answers to these questions.
The opportunity to increase sales is in:
For example, if you look at the top converting retail websites, one of the key reasons they have such high conversion rates (way above 3 percent) is their intense focus on bringing back repeat customers. Note: You should subscribe to each of their newsletters to see some of what they are doing right!
How does your traffic mix look? What are your plans for improving it now?
What's New for 2015?
You spoke, we listened! ClickZ Live New York (Mar 30-Apr 1) is back with a brand new streamlined agenda. Don't miss the latest digital marketing tips, tricks and tools that will make you re-think your strategy and revolutionize your marketing campaigns. Super Saver Rates are available now. Register today!
Bryan Eisenberg is coauthor of the Wall Street Journal, Amazon, BusinessWeek, and New York Times bestselling books "Call to Action," "Waiting For Your Cat to Bark?," and "Always Be Testing." Bryan is a professional marketing speaker and has keynoted conferences globally such as SES, Shop.org, Direct Marketing Association, MarketingSherpa, Econsultancy, Webcom, SEM Konferansen Norway, the Canadian Marketing Association, and others. In 2010, Bryan was named a winner of the Direct Marketing Educational Foundation's Rising Stars Awards, which recognizes the most talented professionals 40 years of age or younger in the field of direct/interactive marketing. He is also cofounder and chairman emeritus of the Web Analytics Association. Bryan serves as an advisory board member of SES Conference & Expo, the eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit, and several venture capital backed companies. He works with his coauthor and brother Jeffrey Eisenberg. You can find them at BryanEisenberg.com.
Singapore, 3-4 November
Hong Kong, 8-9 December
Hong Kong, 8-9 December
Google My Business Listings Demystified
To help brands control how they appear online, Google has developed a new offering: Google My Business Locations. This whitepaper helps marketers understand how to use this powerful new tool.
5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
82 percent of shoppers say they would buy more items from a brand if the emails they sent were more personalized. This white paper offer five tactics that will personalize your email beyond the subject line and drive real business growth.