Driving maximum engagement with your consumers with compelling subject lines and eye-catching design.
Email is here to stay and has proven to be a very effective way to drive engagement with consumers. Here are five things you should focus on to drive maximum engagement.
1. Is it easy on the eyes? Make sure that you have less text that is well spaced out and that your content is highlighted. Reduce the fine print to what is required and put in pictures that are relevant. Pictures help break the monotony of reading and help with cognition. Design your email well - think about putting pictures in a frame, they need to look pleasing. Do not stop with the email - create a mobile version and do not forget about your landing page.
2. Is your subject line compelling? The goal of your subject line is to draw the consumer in. Use powerful words and sentences that inspire action. Powerful words include: proven, exclusive, limited number, two more days, for our platinum segment, and advanced tips. Test your subject line - first with your team, then conduct an A/B test before launching to the entire list.
3. Will it find the inbox? Marketers should monitor deliverability to ensure that the message is getting through to their consumers. Start by checking the spam score, include multi-part messaging, avoid spam traps and spam words, and keep checking your bounces. Make sure that you are honoring the subscribe and un-subscribe process. It is also important to ensure that the reputation of your IP addresses is aboveboard.
4. Are you looking at your numbers? Make it a habit to check the results of a campaign before scheduling the next campaign. Opens, clicks, and conversions can be improved by looking at other factors. Monitor the time between an email being sent and the email being opened. Look at the quality and length of your subject lines. One of the best things you can do is to predict your results and then evaluate the difference to improve.
5. Does your consumer trust you? Every message you send and every open (and click) is a way for you to build up on your value proposition. Continue looking at branding, the consumer's attention span, and your ability to convert the consumer to a customer. Your biggest success would be driven by focusing on getting the consumer to trust you - they need to learn to depend on you for important and relevant messaging.
Join us at SES Chicago for a full day of comprehensive learning including case studies and best practices that will help you improve your email marketing.
Email Bomb image on home page via Shutterstock.
August 10-12: Revolutionize your digital marketing campaigns at ClickZ Live San Francisco! Educating marketers for over 15 years, our action-packed, educationally-focused agenda covers every aspect of digital marketing. Early Bird rates available through Friday, July 17 - save up to $300! Register today.
Sundeep Kapur has been assisting organizations with their converged channel marketing strategies since 1990. From direct marketing to digital to converged, he is a passionate teacher who works with businesses across multiple industries, helping them to enable technology and services to brand, and personalize and speak to consumers more effectively.
He is an industry-recognized expert who has delivered keynotes, run panels, and delivered "relevant, inspirational, and outstanding" education for organizations around the world.
Sundeep is also an avid user of social media, having leveraged words, pictures, and video into a conversational digital book. His daily dose of best practices can be found at www.EmailYogi.com, where he has more than 1,200 articles on best practices.
US Consumer Device Preference Report
Traditionally desktops have shown to convert better than mobile devices however, 2015 might be a tipping point for mobile conversions! Download this report to find why mobile users are more important then ever.
E-Commerce Customer Lifecycle
Have you ever wondered what factors influence online spending or why shoppers abandon their cart? This data-rich infogram offers actionable insight into creating a more seamless online shopping experience across the multiple devices consumers are using.