Consider these factors when evaluating your Facebook reports.
Is your "daily fan" count report from Facebook Insights not matching with the one given by your vendor? How do we pay the vendor (for "cost per fan" deals) if the two numbers don't match? How do you differentiate between paid and organic fans coming from mobile?
If you are wondering or have not yet figured out the reasons, the following points could answer your questions. Always consider these points when looking at Facebook Insights and comparing it with vendor reports:
1. Facebook Page Insights are in Pacific Standard Time (PST), Ad insights or vendor reports are in the time zone of wherever the ad account is created. The likes on ad insights take into account any likes that happened in the 24-hour period after seeing the ad - i.e., If I see the ad at 9 p.m. on the 24th, but visit and like the page on the 25th. This would count for the 24th in ad insights (vendor report) and the 25th in page insights.
2. Over the duration of the campaign, the two reports should be similar but may never match. Hence, you need to stick to the vendor reports. Should you need to verify those reports, request a login from the vendors and check the reports for authenticity.
3. Different tracking methods used by either party could also lead to different numbers. Here is an illustration of the above points with dummy data. The column marked in "blue" shows the difference in the fan count from two different reports (vendor vs. Facebook).
If you are paying the vendor on a "per like" basis, mismatch of report can really be a huge cause of concern. Knowing the working of the Facebook system and your vendor system can really help you minimize the friction points.
4. If you are targeting mobile as part of your campaign, any ad which appears on mobile will be counted in the mobile section on page insights (will not come under ads and Sponsored Stories) but will get included in the ad insights report. So if you want to get bifurcation of fans from "mobile" and fans from "desktop," it is recommended to set up the campaign in that fashion only.
5. If you are focused on fans, and are using different ad types simultaneously - Like Ads, Sponsored Stories, etc. - and want to know fans generated from each type of ad, the solution again lies in setting up the campaign accordingly so that you end up with maximum data.
Knowing these points can really help to put your campaign evaluation in the right perspective. If you are still not sure and are not satisfied with vendor answer, it is recommended to confirm with Facebook directly.
Join the Industry's Leading eCommerce & Direct Marketing Experts in Chicago
ClickZ Live Chicago (Nov 3-6) will deliver over 50 sessions across 4 days and 10 individual tracks, including Data-Driven Marketing, Social, Mobile, Display, Search and Email. Check out the full agenda and register by Friday, Oct 3 to take advantage of Early Bird Rates!
Maninder Pal Singh has more than 6 years of Digital Media Experience with expertise in areas viz Display, SEM, Mobile, Social Influence Marketing and Web Analytics. He has worked with leading media groups like GroupM and Lintas Initiative Media. He has successfully delivered both Brand and Performance marketing initiatives and digital initiatives for brands like Maruti Suzuki, P&G, Nokia, Pernod Ricard, Castrol, Expedia, Perfetti Van Melle, Hero Honda and Yamaha among others. An ardent blogger and an amateur photographer, Maninder also teaches Digital Marketing at B-schools.
IBM Social Analytics: The Science Behind Social Media Marketing
80% of internet users say they prefer to connect with brands via Facebook. 65% of social media users say they use it to learn more about brands, products and services. Learn about how to find more about customers' attitudes, preferences and buying habits from what they say on social media channels.
The Multiplier Effect of Integrating Search & Social Advertising
Latest research reveals 68% higher revenue per conversion for marketers who integrate their search & social advertising. In addition to the research results, this whitepaper also outlines 5 strategies and 15 tactics you can use to better integrate your search and social campaigns.
September 17, 2014
September 23, 2014
September 30, 2014
1:00pm ET/10:00am PT