6. The Graphic. Creating your own visuals from scratch is a great way to add variety to your stream and call more attention to your posts. Use PowerPoint, Photoshop, PicMonkey, and other such tools to add special effects and text to the images you share. You could even go so far as to create your own infographics. A combination of data, words, and pictures is one of the best ways to increase your engagement and reach on social media.
Example: Nordstrom on Facebook
7. The Spontaneous Shot. One of the best benefits of using social media for marketing is the power it gives you to connect with your constituents in real time. Capitalize on the extemporaneous nature of these channels by sharing impromptu, candid shots of you and your team in the moment. What's happening now is far more credible and commanding on social media than old news or posed pictures.
Example: MTV on Facebook
8. The Moving Picture. No, I didn't forget about video. In fact, most businesses and brands consider it a must-have ingredient in their content marketing mix. YouTube, Vine, Instagram - each of these channels presents an abundance of opportunities for creating original footage which can eventually be cross-promoted across the social landscape. Don't worry about going viral. Worry about one watch at a time. If people like it, they will share it. And you'll have a hit on your hands.
Example: Maxwell House on Twitter
9. The Collage. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a small handful of them is, well, perhaps priceless. Take advantage of Twitter's new mobile feature and upload up to four photos in a single tweet. Or you can use one of many good photo-editing tools available - such as the aforementioned PicMonkey - to cobble together the quintessential collage.
Example: General Electric on Twitter
10. The Selfie. Last, but certainly not least, there's the type of visual made famous by Ellen DeGeneres at this year's Oscars ceremony and most recently Boston Red Sox superstar David Ortiz at the White House. There's the selfie. Thanks to these two celebrities, the ubiquity of the front-facing camera on smartphones, and people's seemingly insatiable desire for attention, the selfie is an incredibly hot trend you don't want to ignore.
Example: The Today Show on Instagram
Want to learn more?
Attend ClickZ Live New York March 30 - April 1. With over 15 years' experience delivering industry-leading events, ClickZ Live brings together over 60 expert speakers to offer an action-packed, educationally-focused agenda covering all aspects of digital marketing. Early Bird Rates expire TODAY! Register now and save $300!
Bob Cargill, who was named "Direct Marketer of the Year" for 2009 by the New England Direct Marketing Association (NEDMA), is director of social media at Overdrive Interactive. During the course of his career, his work has been recognized with more than 40 awards from NEDMA, including Gold for his blog, Gold for Best Tweets, and Silver for Best Copywriting. Bob likes to keep his fingers on the pulse of the industry in which he earns his livelihood. Not only has he presented many times about social media, copywriting, and direct marketing, he has been published or quoted on his areas of expertise in numerous media outlets. He is a past president of NEDMA and a graduate of Leadership MetroWest's Leadership Academy.
Singapore, 5-6 March
Bangkok, 17-18 March
Hong Kong, April 2015
A Buyer's Guide to Affiliate Management Software
Manage your performance marketing with the right solution. Choose a platform that will mutually empower advertisers and media partners!
Google My Business Listings Demystified
To help brands control how they appear online, Google has developed a new offering: Google My Business Locations. This whitepaper helps marketers understand how to use this powerful new tool.
March 3, 2015
1:00pm ET/10:00am PT