IAC Gets College Humor

  |  August 15, 2006   |  Comments

IAC has acquired a 51 percent stake in Connected Ventures, parent of CollegeHumor.com.

IAC/InterActiveCorp has begun its push into community-focused online content with the acquisition of a controlling interest in the parent company of CollegeHumor.com.

IAC will hold a 51 percent stake in Connected Ventures, with full voting control. Founders Josh Abramson and Ricky Van Veen will retain the remaining 49 percent. Besides CollegeHumor, Connected Ventures runs e-commerce site Busted Tees, along with a few smaller content sites targeting the same young adult demographic.

CollegeHumor offers videos, pictures, articles and jokes to a core audience of college students and recent graduates. The site features several rich media ads and text links on its homepage and category pages, which it sells through an internal ad sales team. The site attracts more than six million monthly unique users, according to Nielsen Site Census.

Past site sponsors include General Motors, DreamWorks Motion Pictures, Sony Motion Pictures, AT&T Wireless, Comedy Central and RCA Records.

CollegeHumor becomes the first site to join IAC Programming, which launched earlier this year with a goal of buying and building branded online content properties centered around communities. The programming group launched in January, when IAC named Michael Jackson as president of programming. Jackson previously served under IAC chairman Barry Diller as chairman of Universal Television Group, and as CEO of the U.K.’s Channel Four.

"With its distinct brand of humor, CollegeHumor has emerged as a viral success with an enormously loyal audience among young adults," Jackson said in a statement. "The founders have done an outstanding job of growing the business by appealing to a well-defined audience with a consistent voice and sensibility. Their entrepreneurial spirit is a welcome addition to IAC's Programming efforts, and we look forward to working with them to drive growth of CollegeHumor as well as other opportunities."

ClickZ Live Toronto On the heels of a fantastic event in New York City, ClickZ Live is taking the fun and learning to Toronto, June 23-25. With over 15 years' experience delivering industry-leading events, ClickZ Live offers an action-packed, educationally-focused agenda covering all aspects of digital marketing. Register today!

ClickZ Live San Francisco Want to learn more? Join us at ClickZ Live San Francisco, Aug 10-12!
Educating marketers for over 15 years, ClickZ Live brings together industry thought leaders from the largest brands and agencies to deliver the most advanced, educational digital marketing agenda. Register today and save $500!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb joined ClickZ in August 2004, covering search marketing and other online marketing topics. He has been reporting on web-based businesses since 2000.

Before the bubble burst, Kevin was a marketing manager for an online computer reseller, handling copywriting, e-mail marketing, search marketing and running the affiliate program.

With a combination of real-world marketing experience and years of business journalism, Kevin brings to ClickZ a unique ability to deliver news and training materials that help online marketers do their jobs better.

COMMENTSCommenting policy

comments powered by Disqus

ClickZ Today is our #1 newsletter.
Get a daily dose of digital marketing.

COMMENTS

UPCOMING EVENTS

Featured White Papers

Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce

Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce
This Magic Quadrant examines leading digital commerce platforms that enable organizations to build digital commerce sites. These commerce platforms facilitate purchasing transactions over the Web, and support the creation and continuing development of an online relationship with a consumer.

Paid Search in the Mobile Era

Paid Search in the Mobile Era
Google reports that paid search ads are currently driving 40+ million calls per month. Cost per click is increasing, paid search budgets are growing, and mobile continues to dominate. It's time to revamp old search strategies, reimagine stale best practices, and add new layers data to your analytics.

WEBINARS

Resources

Jobs

    • GREAT Campaign Project Coordinator
      GREAT Campaign Project Coordinator (British Consulate-General, New York) - New YorkThe GREAT Britain Campaign is seeking an energetic and creative...
    • Paid Search Senior Account Manager
      Paid Search Senior Account Manager (Hanapin Marketing) - BloomingtonHanapin Marketing is hiring a strategic Paid Search Senior Account Manager...
    • Paid Search Account Manager
      Paid Search Account Manager (Hanapin Marketing) - BloomingtonHanapin Marketing is hiring an experienced Paid Search Account Manager to...