Subway got an hour’s worth of air time last night during AMC’s “The Pitch,” a new reality TV show pitting ad agencies head-to-head for brand accounts. The timeslot followed ad industry fave, AMC’s “Mad Men.” And today, the quick-serve restaurant company took aim at ad types with the Promoted Trend on Twitter, an online industry hangout.
Even though Twitter advertisers often purposefully sync up their placements with TV-related buzz, interestingly, a Subway rep told ClickZ late on Monday that the one-two punch could be characterized as “a happy accident.”
Indeed, the Twitter ad reflects the challenge confronting the winning agency, McKinney, and its “The Pitch” opponent, Wong Doody Crandall Wiener: sell Subway breakfast to consumers 18-24 years old. The brand’s Promoted Trend, which Twitter says costs $120,000 per day, used “SubwayBuy1Get1” for ad copy. People who clicked through were taken to a Twitter search page, displaying one of five copy variations (below). From there, click-throughs led to a landing page with Subway’s full breakfast menu.
- Need reasons 2 wake up early? #SubwayBuy1Get1! Learn how 2 get a 6″ FREE sub (=/lesser $) before 9AM: http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Expand ur horizons w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! Free sub of =/lesser $ when u have ur fav 6″ sub before 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf (P&P may vary)
- #SubwayBuy1Get1 is here to make ur mornings better! FREE 6” sub of =/lesser $ when u buy one be4 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Busy after work? Try a breakfast date! FREE 6″ sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
- Anything better than a FREE sub? Get a free 6” sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
Many companies use SMS, email and push notifications to deliver updates to customers and stakeholders, and such notifications are especially important to publishers ... read more
Every year, the average business spends thousands of dollars on Facebook ads but has little or nothing to show for it. If this is true for your business, what can you do about it?
Twitter's own statistics say that videos are six times more likely to be retweeted than photos, and three times more likely than GIFs. But what is it that makes video on Twitter so effective?
Snapchat started as a simple messaging app that made the idea of ephemeral messages into a trend among social platforms.