Subway got an hour’s worth of air time last night during AMC’s “The Pitch,” a new reality TV show pitting ad agencies head-to-head for brand accounts. The timeslot followed ad industry fave, AMC’s “Mad Men.” And today, the quick-serve restaurant company took aim at ad types with the Promoted Trend on Twitter, an online industry hangout.
Even though Twitter advertisers often purposefully sync up their placements with TV-related buzz, interestingly, a Subway rep told ClickZ late on Monday that the one-two punch could be characterized as “a happy accident.”
Indeed, the Twitter ad reflects the challenge confronting the winning agency, McKinney, and its “The Pitch” opponent, Wong Doody Crandall Wiener: sell Subway breakfast to consumers 18-24 years old. The brand’s Promoted Trend, which Twitter says costs $120,000 per day, used “SubwayBuy1Get1” for ad copy. People who clicked through were taken to a Twitter search page, displaying one of five copy variations (below). From there, click-throughs led to a landing page with Subway’s full breakfast menu.
- Need reasons 2 wake up early? #SubwayBuy1Get1! Learn how 2 get a 6″ FREE sub (=/lesser $) before 9AM: http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Expand ur horizons w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! Free sub of =/lesser $ when u have ur fav 6″ sub before 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf (P&P may vary)
- #SubwayBuy1Get1 is here to make ur mornings better! FREE 6” sub of =/lesser $ when u buy one be4 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Busy after work? Try a breakfast date! FREE 6″ sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
- Anything better than a FREE sub? Get a free 6” sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
As it prepares for a 2017 IPO that could be the largest in the social media space since Facebook went public in 2012, all eyes are on Snapchat.
What would we do without social media?
Facebook isn't just the world's largest social network. In the past two years, it has also become one of the world's most popular online destinations for consuming video content.
If your responsibilities have anything to do with marketing, advertising, PR or social media, you can’t afford to be camera-shy in this day and age.