Subway got an hour’s worth of air time last night during AMC’s “The Pitch,” a new reality TV show pitting ad agencies head-to-head for brand accounts. The timeslot followed ad industry fave, AMC’s “Mad Men.” And today, the quick-serve restaurant company took aim at ad types with the Promoted Trend on Twitter, an online industry hangout.
Even though Twitter advertisers often purposefully sync up their placements with TV-related buzz, interestingly, a Subway rep told ClickZ late on Monday that the one-two punch could be characterized as “a happy accident.”
Indeed, the Twitter ad reflects the challenge confronting the winning agency, McKinney, and its “The Pitch” opponent, Wong Doody Crandall Wiener: sell Subway breakfast to consumers 18-24 years old. The brand’s Promoted Trend, which Twitter says costs $120,000 per day, used “SubwayBuy1Get1” for ad copy. People who clicked through were taken to a Twitter search page, displaying one of five copy variations (below). From there, click-throughs led to a landing page with Subway’s full breakfast menu.
- Need reasons 2 wake up early? #SubwayBuy1Get1! Learn how 2 get a 6″ FREE sub (=/lesser $) before 9AM: http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Expand ur horizons w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! Free sub of =/lesser $ when u have ur fav 6″ sub before 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf (P&P may vary)
- #SubwayBuy1Get1 is here to make ur mornings better! FREE 6” sub of =/lesser $ when u buy one be4 9AM! http://bit.ly/qMaMvf P&P may vary
- Busy after work? Try a breakfast date! FREE 6″ sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
- Anything better than a FREE sub? Get a free 6” sub (=/lesser $) when u buy 1 be4 9AM w/ #SubwayBuy1Get1! http://bit.ly/qMaMvfP&P may vary
This week at Shift 2016, Andres Sosa, Executive Vice President of the online retailer TheOutnet.com, gave a talk on innovation and content-creation. It reminded ... read more
Richard Herd attended our Shift London event to discuss how video content can increase engagement on digital platforms and the way FoodTube has ... read more
Following its acquisition of the rights to show Champions League football, BT Sport has been working to establish itself as the major rival ... read more