If the goal of your company is to drive in-store visits, then brand lift in intent to visit is the metric that matters and should be understood, says Tim Reis, head of mobile and social solutions, Americas at Google.
With millions of active smart devices around the world, the mobile platform has reached an attractive scale for advertisers to reach consumers. Mobile now accounts for about 8 percent of new investment accounts and companies that do not have a specific mobile optimized strategy are missing out on a huge slice of the pie, explains Reis, speaking at the IAB Mobile Marketplace conference held in New York City last week.
With this in mind, companies and brands need to assign value to all mobile conversions and must build an attribution model in order to understand the full value of opportunity.
“Mobile is paving new paths between customers and conversions. Nowadays there are many new types of conversions and companies need to recognize the value of each of these. There are lots of options available to market your brand and create engagement amongst multiple screens. Context drives device choice. Brands need to understand consumer behavior and develop a mobile specific strategy in order to drive purchases,” Reis comments.
Reis identifies a number of mobile conversion opportunities that brands should be measuring and/or utilizing in order to determine their values. These include:
• The impact on cross devices and users’ behavior in login. I.e. are there specific mobile devices that are creating intent to visit the store more than others?
• Measurement of apps. I.e. how are customers finding these apps? Are they being downloaded in the store, or beforehand? What are customers doing once they have downloaded the app? Reis suggests setting-up goals in order to track ecommerce growth from the app.
• Experiment with unique coupons and analyze how many are being downloaded and used for purchases.
• Implement store locators and use analytics to measure how many consumers are seeking directions.
• Facilitate a click-to-call button and monitor how many customers use it.
“Mobile is growing so fast and customers’ connectivity through this platform has created new purchase behavior. It is imperative that marketers account for all these new types of conversions and understand the return on investment that they are getting from their mobile efforts,” Reis says.