More NewsExperian Swears Off Incentive Marketing, Lays Off 50

Experian Swears Off Incentive Marketing, Lays Off 50

The consumer data giant is closing the book on Web-based incentive marketing, citing diminishing returns.

Consumer data giant Experian is closing the book on its Web-based incentive marketing activities, laying off 50 in its MetaReward unit and eliminating all incentive and loyalty programs.

Spokesperson Heather Greer said the move was motivated by diminishing returns in the subsidiary.

“The incentive marketing space originally attracted high volumes of consumer traffic, which provided an opportunity for us to offer advertising and marketing services to clients,” she said. “Over the past year, the effectiveness of incentive marketing has eroded and volumes have dropped. We decided the best move for us would be to exit the incentive marketing space.”

Earlier this week, the company told partners it would shut down a Web site for its MetaReward programs and lay off 50 employees, or about two thirds of that staff.

The shuttered programs made up about 90 percent of MetaReward sales, according to Greer. The remaining 10 percent is in credit card marketing and membership clubs.

She said the drastic reduction in the MetaReward program would have no implications for other of the company’s interactive businesses, which include LowerMyBills.com and PriceGrabber.com. The company purchased the former in May of 2005 for $380 million and the latter in December of last year for $485 million.

Experian acquired MetaReward two years ago.

Among the staff being retained are a core group of engineers focused on developing new solutions and some people in its credit card marketing business. Greer said the company would help place laid off workers in new jobs, both internally and externally.

Another incentive/loyalty marketing play, MyPoints, was recently sold by its parent United Airlines (UAL) to United Online for $56 million. UAL originally paid $116 million for the business, and the drop in price supports Experian’s contention that incentive marketing is a shrinking business.

Related Articles

GDPR: The role of technology in data compliance

Data & Analytics GDPR: The role of technology in data compliance

3w Clark Boyd
What companies can learn from the We-Vibe lawsuit about the Internet of Things

Legal & Regulatory What companies can learn from the We-Vibe lawsuit about the Internet of Things

8m Al Roberts
Has advertising arrived on Google Home?

Media Has advertising arrived on Google Home?

8m Al Roberts
Is Twitter slowly dying?

More News Is Twitter slowly dying?

9m Al Roberts
FedEx launches fulfillment service to take on Amazon

Ecommerce FedEx launches fulfillment service to take on Amazon

9m Al Roberts
Target is the top retail digital marketer, so why is it struggling?

Ecommerce Target is the top retail digital marketer, so why is it struggling?

8m Al Roberts
YouTube is "on pace to eclipse TV" thanks to savvy algorithm use

More News YouTube is "on pace to eclipse TV" thanks to savvy algorithm use

9m Al Roberts
YouTube is getting rid of 30-second unskippable pre-roll ads

Ad Industry Metrics YouTube is getting rid of 30-second unskippable pre-roll ads

9m Al Roberts