Digital MarketingDisplay AdvertisingFirm Powering Facebook Credits Launches Ad Business

Firm Powering Facebook Credits Launches Ad Business

Live Gamer acquires BrandPort and gamerDNA Media to kick start new unit.

Microtransaction provider Live Gamer is branching out into online ad sales following its acquisitions of New York-based video game ad network gamerDNA Media, and in-game engagement ad platform BrandPort. The new business unit, which officially launched today, is dubbed Live Gamer Media.

With the addition of BrandPort’s ad platform – which has now been re-branded Ad Elements – the company hopes to help publishers and developers extract revenue from non paying gamers, while monetizing those users more inclined to dig into their pockets with its existing micropayment solutions.

ad-view-ratings

Existing Live Gamer clients include major gaming brands such as EA and Sony Online Entertainment, and its technology also powers the Facebook Credits online currency.

According to Live Gamer president and co-founder Andrew Schneider, only 5 to15 percent of casual gamers pay for in-game content, effectively leaving 85 percent of audiences un-monetized. The Ad Elements product essentially allows gamers to earn rewards or virtual goods in return for watching and engaging with video-based ads.

“Users are willing and very receptive to the idea that they have to engage with advertising in order to get a reward. We’re seeing click-through rates of over five percent, and advertisers only pay if a whole ad is viewed,” Schneider said.

The concept of rewards-based online advertising is not a new one, but casual gaming audiences continue to grow exponentially, presenting a significant opportunity for advertisers. Live Gamer hopes its existing relationships with the gaming community will help drive adoption of its media offerings, and enable it to extract more revenue from that growing market. “We see a huge gap between gaming usage and the amount of dollars flowing into the platform.” Schneider said.”

Meanwhile, gamerDNA Media will be rebranded as GamerDNA, and represents a more straightforward ad network play. According to Live Gamer, its syndicate of gamer-focused partner sites reaches over 48 million unique monthly users, and reaches a “true gamer” demographic with its range of display, video, and rich-media formats.

Prior to the acquisition, gamerDNA Media served clients including Blizzard, Best Buy, KFC, Wal-Mart, and Namco.

Related Articles

A guide to five Facebook ad types that will reach your marketing objectives

Display Advertising A guide to five Facebook ad types that will reach your marketing objectives

3m Tereza Litsa
How to use Facebook mobile ads as an "interest indicator" to drive conversions

Display Advertising How to use Facebook mobile ads as an "interest indicator" to drive conversions

7m Sana Ansari
Facebook Advanced Measurement will let advertisers compare Facebook ad performance

Display Advertising Facebook Advanced Measurement will let advertisers compare Facebook ad performance

9m Al Roberts
Facebook to introduce header bidding solution for its Audience Network

Display Advertising Facebook to introduce header bidding solution for its Audience Network

1y Al Roberts
Facebook begins thwarting ad blockers

Display Advertising Facebook begins thwarting ad blockers

1y Al Roberts
Ad blocker use continues to grow rapidly

Ad Industry Metrics Ad blocker use continues to grow rapidly

10m Al Roberts
More brands sign up for Snapchat, but many aren't active

Display Advertising More brands sign up for Snapchat, but many aren't active

10m Al Roberts
Facebook to get mid-roll video ads, share revenue with users: report

Display Advertising Facebook to get mid-roll video ads, share revenue with users: report

10m Al Roberts