Google has released new retail industry shopping insights finding that ’90s-era styles are making a comeback.
April Anderson, Google’s Retail Industry director, noticed significant increases in searches for many of the popular fashions of the 1990s, when comparing July of this year to 2012:
- Searches for [crop tops] were more than 110 percent higher.
- Searches for [high waisted jeans] were more than 120 percent higher.
- Searches for [acid wash shorts] were more than 50 percent higher.
- Searches for [grunge clothing] were more than 80 percent higher (and climbing rapidly so far in August).
- Searches for [bucket hats] were more than 120 percent higher.
This all makes sense. These styles are perfect for the upcoming school year and will make great gifts during the holiday season.
In addition to these fly fashions, a few old school favorites have become a curiosity to new generations seeking comfortable pants:
Google Shopping search queries that produce Product Listing Ads have increased from July 2012 to July 2013 in the U.S.
- [Overalls] queries increased by more than 180 percent.
- [Zubaz Pants] queries increased by more than 150 percent.
- [Round Sunglasses] queries increased by more than 100 percent.
- [Jelly Sandals] queries increased by more than 180 percent.
One of the advantages to PPC and AdWords is the ability to be flexible and quickly meet the demands of consumers. Often we can predict increases in interest and demand from search volumes and click-through rates (CTRs).
Google called special attention to comeback of Zubaz, and how the company’s advertising campaigns are poised to reach consumers ready to, “embrace the awesomeness of Zubaz”. Check out this then and now, comparing a 1991 print ad:
To a 2013 mobile search ad:
Other companies like Marc Jacobs, ASOS, and Hasbro are having similar experiences and also totally embracing the ’90s through their PPC campaigns, Google reported.
A final word of advice for shoppers and retailers: keep an eye out for these styles, especially as we inch closer to the holiday season.
Party on, Google!
This article was originally published on http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2287802/google-searches-show-90s-fashion-is-back-in-style.
We don’t generally think of paid search as a great channel for personalisation, but increasingly, it's becoming one.
Site search matters, yet many ecommerce sites are actually deterring customers through poor experiences. Indeed, a fifth of UK shoppers are not ... read more
How can you create content marketing which works for search, right from the start? Many of us probably think of SEO as ... read more
As you’re no doubt aware, Google finally rolled out its Google 4.0 algorithm update at the end of last week. Penguin is ... read more