Emerging TechnologyMobileMobile Gaming Market Hot on Downloadable Titles

Mobile Gaming Market Hot on Downloadable Titles

On-portal game downloads account for 71 percent of mobile game revenues.

Over half of mobile games played are downloaded to mobile handsets, and 71 percent of revenues from downloaded games are from on-portal offerings. That’s according to research released by mobile performance measurement firm Telephia.

Entertainment is a big driver for content consumption on mobile phones, with games a driver of the category. Thirty-nine percent of mobile subscribers play preexisting games on their phones, while 53 percent download additional titles. An additional 8 percent play Web-based games on their devices. While many companies provide both on-portal and off-portal content, 71 percent of revenues for mobile games come from the on-portal channel. The remaining 29 percent comes from the off-portal bucket. The finding that consumers tend to go to the carrier is consistent with other content types, as identified in a report from M:Metrics.

Share of Games Played by Game Type (U.S.)
Game Type Share of Games Played (%)
Downloaded 53
Preexisting 39
Web-based 8
Source: Telephia, 2006

Familiarity is one of the most important factors in a game purchase decision, cited as important by 43 percent of respondents. This holds especially true for titles available on other platforms such as PC and game consoles.

“Cohesive marketing across all platforms — PC, console and mobile — is critical to a mobile game title’s overall success,” said Kanishka Agarwal, VP of new products at Telaphia.

Other key factors in the buying process are price (59 percent); demo or free-trial period (48 percent); graphics (35 percent); difficulty (18 percent) and friend recommendation (18 percent).

Most Important Purchasing Criteria for Mobile Game Downloaders (U.S.)
Game Purchasing Criteria Percent of Game Downloaders (%)
Price 59
Free trial (demo) 48
Familiarity with the game through other gaming platforms 43
Graphics 35
Difficulty 18
Friend recommendation 18
Popularity 18
Brand name 12
Consumer reviews 8
Expert reviews 7
Published recommendation 5
Other 6
Source: Telephia, 2006

Data are derived from an April 2006 Telephia Audience Measurement survey with a panel size of 7,945 respondents.

Related Articles

Five ad tech upstarts to keep an eye on

AI Five ad tech upstarts to keep an eye on

4w Al Roberts
The State of Media Transformation

Digital Transformation The State of Media Transformation

4w Chris Camps
5G: The next great media disruption

Media 5G: The next great media disruption

1m Luke Richards
How brands can integrate live video into their marketing strategy

Content Marketing How brands can integrate live video into their marketing strategy

5m Rebecca Sentance
Facebook goes after clickbait headlines - five tips to maintain reach

Content Marketing Facebook goes after clickbait headlines - five tips to maintain reach

5m Tereza Litsa
How brand advertisers are fighting ad fraud

Blockchain How brand advertisers are fighting ad fraud

3m Al Roberts
How QVC is managing to survive and thrive in the Amazon era

Ecommerce How QVC is managing to survive and thrive in the Amazon era

4m Al Roberts
What is intelligent content, and how can it future-proof your content marketing?

Content Marketing What is intelligent content, and how can it future-proof your content marketing?

4m Rebecca Sentance