Last week, men’s hygiene brand Old Spice unleashed a barrage of over 180 videos through its YouTube channel, during which the brand’s mascot The Old Spice guy answered questions from users submitted through various social networks, including Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube itself.
The campaign – created by agency Wieden + Kennedy – ran for just three days, with the first videos published on Monday, and the final message posted Wednesday evening. In just seven days since it launched, it’s achieved the following:
- -A total of 183 individual video responses have been posted to the Old Spice YouTube channel.
- -So far, the videos have attracted 35.7 million individual views, as of 9am, Monday July 19th.
- -The final video reply, addressed to “everyone,” has amassed almost 2.5 million views and over 5,800 comments alone.
- -The Old Spice channel was the most viewed channel on YouTube last week, and is now the third most subscribed channel ever in the site’s “sponsor” category.
- -Total upload views for the channel, a metric that includes the original TV ads, currently stand at over 92 million.
- -At midday on Wednesday the brand’s official Twitter account had 32,000 followers.
By Monday morning that number had more than doubled to 94,000 followers, and the account was featured on over 2,300 Twitter lists.
The campaign has also been making use of Facebook, encouraging users to pose questions, and posting the video responses on its official Facebook page. Some of those videos have already recorded upwards of 2,000 “likes,” and the brand page itself has amassed over 630,000 likes.
According to Wieden + Kennedy, the campaign was created using a team of around 35 people working 12 hours a day for its three day duration.
What would we do without social media?
Facebook isn't just the world's largest social network. In the past two years, it has also become one of the world's most popular online destinations for consuming video content.
If your responsibilities have anything to do with marketing, advertising, PR or social media, you can’t afford to be camera-shy in this day and age.
It has been a very busy year for Instagram.