Following the success of its YouTube -based video response campaign last June, P&G-owned men’s hygiene brand Old Spice decided to revisit the concept this summer with the help of Italian heartthrob Fabio.
The effort revolved around an online duel between Fabio and existing “Old Spice Guy” Mustafa Isaiah, and appears once again to have captured the imagination of consumers.
Though the “Mano a Mano in el Baño” campaign update might not have garnered as much attention as the original initiative, the approach from Old Spice and its agency Wieden + Kennedy appears to be “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” According to Old Spice, campaign highlights as of August included:
- A total of 169 unique videos, which attracted over 22 million views in their first seven days of exposure. (That’s fewer than the 35 million views the initial campaign videos racked up in five days last summer.)
- “Challenge” from New Old Spice Guy Fabio was the #7 most viewed video of the week on YouTube the week the campaign ran, amassing 3 million views. The second-most-popular video, “Challenge Accepted,” received 1.2 million views.
- Old Spice and New Old Spice Guy Fabio held the #1 and #4 spots for most viewed channels for the month on YouTube.
- The videos attracted more than 53,000 comments on YouTube, and 500,000 likes, dislikes and votes (through annotations) on the video sharing site.
- 100,000 brand mentions through Old Spice-owned channels and Reddit, including 64,000 on Twitter.
- 68,000 new Facebook fans, friends and subscribers to Old Spice channels.
We've all been to the eternal meeting with the dull presentation. These four tips can keep those disruptions from killing agencies' collaborative vibes.
Sandeep Menon, based in California, is global marketing director for Google Play, the app and digital content store for Android users that ... read more
Most CMOs would probably agree that marketing has become more of a science, requiring strong analytical skills to create real insight from ... read more