Eric Schmidt tells the Seattle Times that Google and Yahoo still plan to move ahead with their search advertising deal in October, despite recent questions from the Senate about whether the arrangement will raise prices for advertisers.
“We are going to move forward,” Schmidt said Thursday. “We are in the process of talking to the government. They’ve not indicated one way or the other how they’re dealing with us.”
When the companies paired up in June, they said they’d delay implementation for up to three and a half months to allow a U.S. Justice Department review, though such a postponement isn’t required by law. In a July 15 hearing, a Senate Judiciary Committee expressed concerns the pact would remove an important check on Google’s dominance of the search advertising market.
Schmidt’s conclusion: “We always worry a little bit, but we think our arguments are pretty strong.”
Can Snapchat make tech-enabled glasses cool? It’s going to try. Last week, it was revealed that the company behind the ascendant social app ... read more