Facebook is a powerful platform for advertisers that has grown rapidly since its humble beginnings in 2004 to become an essential social channel to advertise a product or promote a brand. Here’s everything you need to know about where the social network is at in 2015, listed in 20 handy points:
1. Daily active users reached 968 million on average by June 2015 – an increase of 17% year-over-year.
2. Mobile daily active users reached 844 million on average by June 2015 – an increase of 29% year-over-year.
3. Monthly active users hit 1.49 billion as of June 30, 2015 – an increase of 13% year-over-year.
4. Mobile MAUs were 1.31 billion as of June 30, 2015 – an increase of 23% year-over-year.
5. Approximately 83.1% of Facebook’s daily active users are outside the US and Canada.
6. The brands with the largest audiences on Facebook are Coca-Cola, McDonald’s and Red Bull:
7. The fastest growing brand pages right now are dominated by the car industry:
8. Mobile advertising revenue represented approximately 76% of advertising revenue for the second quarter of 2015, up from approximately 62% of advertising revenue in the second quarter of 2014.
9. A whopping 38.6% of internet users use Facebook:
10. People spend around 40 minutes per day on average across Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram. Compare that to:
- Instagram—21 minutes
- Pinterest—20.8 minutes
- Twitter—17 minutes
- Snapchat—17 minutes
- Ello—13 minutes
- LinkedIn—9.8 minutes
11. People share 1.3 million pieces of content on Facebook every minute of every day.
12. 27% of adults 18-29 years old have more than 500 friends in their network, while only 15% of 30-49 year olds do.
13. Facebook users view more than four billion videos a day and 75% of those video views occur on mobile devices.
14. 56% of US internet users ages 65 and older now use Facebook, up from 45% who did so in late 2013 and 35% who did so in late 2012:
15. People who never watch a video ad, but did see the impression, are still impacted:
16. Posts published from 10 – 11 PM EST get 88% more interactions than the average Facebook post.
17. Image posts get 179% more interactions than the average Facebook post.
18. Posts ending with a question get 162% more interactions than the average post.
19. Videos are the most shared post type, with 89.5 average Facebook shares.
20. Posts published on Sunday get 52.9% more interactions than the average Facebook post.
[Sources: Statista, Facebook, Pew Research, Nielsen, Buzzsumo, Social Baker, CNBC, Sprout Social]