More NewsBuy Boosts Terra Lycos’ Targeted Ad Technology

Buy Boosts Terra Lycos' Targeted Ad Technology

The Spanish Internet access provider and site network operator opensits war chest for online direct marketer GetRelevant in hopes of improving ad conversion rates.

Terra Lycos , a Spanish Internet service provider and site network operator, has opened its $1.86 billion war chest to buy online direct marketer GetRelevant.

The price tag for the 3-year-old, privately held San Francisco firm was not disclosed. The buy was made with cash. Neither company immediately responded to requests for additional details of the deal.

In a statement, Stephen Killeen, president of Terra Lycos U.S., said, “With GetRelevant we are adding a high-value product that increases our inventory, gives our customers opportunities for better conversion rates and differentiates us in the industry.”

The new software will help Terra Lycos advertisers, including Barnes & Noble, Orbitz and Scottrade, tailor and serve pitches to new users. What’s more, the technology includes advanced tracking and reporting features to gauge the effectiveness of ad strategies.

When users register with one of Terra Lycos’ properties, say investment site Ragingbull or site building tool Tripod, they will be presented with highly targeted offers from advertisers. Once a consumer accepts, they are prompted for additional data.

Terra Lycos will integrate GetRelevant’s technology throughout its network and continue to expand GetRelevant’s current network (about 100 sites) providing a significant reach for new and existing clients.

The company, which has its U.S. headquarters in Waltham, Mass., has been selective in making acquisitions, picking up firms because of their technology or geographic market, such as Decompras.

While working to wean itself from ad revenues by instituting paid subscriptions for premium content and services, such as music, Terra Lycos is still dependent on its sponsors.

According to the company’s most recent quarterly report, advertising, marketing, e-commerce and subscriptions accounted for 60 percent of the firm’s revenues, while Internet access fees made up the remaining 40 percent.

Related Articles

GDPR: The role of technology in data compliance

Data & Analytics GDPR: The role of technology in data compliance

3w Clark Boyd
What companies can learn from the We-Vibe lawsuit about the Internet of Things

Legal & Regulatory What companies can learn from the We-Vibe lawsuit about the Internet of Things

8m Al Roberts
Has advertising arrived on Google Home?

Media Has advertising arrived on Google Home?

8m Al Roberts
Is Twitter slowly dying?

More News Is Twitter slowly dying?

9m Al Roberts
FedEx launches fulfillment service to take on Amazon

Ecommerce FedEx launches fulfillment service to take on Amazon

9m Al Roberts
Target is the top retail digital marketer, so why is it struggling?

Ecommerce Target is the top retail digital marketer, so why is it struggling?

8m Al Roberts
YouTube is "on pace to eclipse TV" thanks to savvy algorithm use

More News YouTube is "on pace to eclipse TV" thanks to savvy algorithm use

9m Al Roberts
YouTube is getting rid of 30-second unskippable pre-roll ads

Ad Industry Metrics YouTube is getting rid of 30-second unskippable pre-roll ads

9m Al Roberts